STC was set up on 18th May 1956 primarily with a view to undertake trade with East European countries and to supplement the efforts of private trade and industry in developing exports from the country. Since then, STC has played an important role in country’s economy. It has arranged imports of essential items of mass consumption (such as wheat, pulses, sugar, edible oils, etc.) and industrial raw materials into India and also contributed significantly in developing exports of a large number of items from India. The core strength of STC lies in handling exports/imports of bulk agro commodities. Over the years, STC has also diversified into exports of steel, iron ore, molasses and imports of bullion, hydrocarbons, minerals, metals, fertilizers, petro-chemicals, etc. This has helped STC to achieve high level of performance in the recent years. STC is today able to structure and execute trade deals of any magnitude, as per the specific requirement of its customers. Ever since liberalisation of trade policies in 1991, the Corporation carries out most of its business operations purely on commercial terms in the competitive global trading environment. STC has a paid up equity capital of ` 60 crore. As on 31.03.2014, the share of Govt. of India in STC’s equity was 90%. The balance 10% of the equity is held by mutual funds, financial institutions and public. STC has contributed a sum of about ` 1200 crore till date to the public exchequer by way of payment of dividends and corporate taxes. The net worth of STC amounted to ` 98 crore as on 31.03.2014 The Board of Directors of STC comprises of whole time Chairman-cum-Managing Director, five whole-time Directors, two ex-officio Directors from Ministry of Commerce and independent Directors appointed by the Govt. from time to time. Presently, STC has five independent directors on its Board. STC has thirteen branch offices in India, the major ones being at Mumbai, Kolkata, Chennai, Ahmedabad, Bangalore and Hyderabad. Recently, STC has also decided to open branch offices at Puducherry and Silvassa to take advantage of the potential of trade existing in/around these areas. The total manpower of the Corporation as on 31.03.2014 was 795. STC has its own tank farms, warehouses, godowns at various locations of the country for storage of liquid/dry cargo. STC’s subsidiary, STCL Ltd., which is based at Bangalore, is in the process of being wound up.
Address : Jawahar Vaypar Bhawan Tolstoy Marg, NEW DELHI-110001. Telephone : (91)11-23313177, (91)11-23701100 Fax : (91)11-23701123, 23701191 e-mail : firstname.lastname@example.org Web Site : www.stc.gov.in
Ownership Information: Website belongs to Department Of Commerce.
Copyright 2014, all rights reserved with Department of Commerce, Ministry of Commerce and Industry, Government of India
27 Feb 2017)