The Indian Institute of Packaging (IIP) an autonomous body set up by the leading packaging and allied industries and the Department of Commerce, Govt. of India, in May, 1966 under Societies Registration Act, 1860.
The Institute is headquartered at Mumbai and its branches are located at Kolkata (1976), Chennai (1971), Delhi (1986), Hyderabad (2006) and Ahmedabad (2017). The Institute is involved in different activities like testing and certification of packaging materials and packages, training and education, consultancy services and R&D activities related to packaging.
The Institute has an excellent rapport with International organizations like World Packaging Organization (WPO) and Asian Packaging Federation (APF). The Institute has linkages with International organisations and is a founder member of the Asian Packaging Federation (APF); member of the Institute of Packaging Professionals (IOPP), USA; the Institute Packaging (IOP), UK; Technical Association of Pulp and Paper Industry (TAPPI), USA.
In addition, the Institute organizes a bi-annual event i.e. International Packaging Exhibition, i.e., INDIAPACK and national contest for excellence in packaging, i.e., INDIASTARA special initiative is also taken to organize Residential Training Programme for the African citizens under Indo-Africa Forum Summit with the financial assistance of Ministry of External Affairs and Ministry of Food Processing Industry, Govt. of India.
The Director of the Institute is the principal executive officer, who is the overall in-charge of the organization functioning under the guidance of Governing Body as well as the directions of Department of Commerce, Ministry of Commerce & Industry, Govt. of India.
The Institute is involved in various activities like Testing and Certification of packaging materials and packaging for domestic and export market, including mandatory UN Certification of packaging for transport of hazardous/dangerous goods, Training and Education, Consultancy and Projects and Research and Development in the area of packaging. Institute contributing to the packaging industry at National and International level through different activities that are mentioned below:
- For last 35 years, more than 6000 PGDP students have passed out from Indian Institute of Packaging and all are well placed in various converting and user Industries in India & Abroad.
- About 5000 packaging professionals were trained through Distance Education Programme (DEP) since 1996.
- For last 54 years, Institute has trained more than 36,000 packaging professionals through various training programmes.
- Organizes the only national level award for design, innovation and technology ‘Indiastar’ and ‘Pacmachine’ Awards to promote Packaging Industry at National and International Forum.
- Institute developed more than 160 packaging standards and specifications for export packaging fruits & vegetables, packaging design for handicraft & handloom products, shelf life study for ethnic foods like Nalen Gur, Kasundi, Honey & Jaynagarer Moa etc.
- IIP received patent approvals for packaging design of 13 design prototype of handicraft and handloom products under the Upgrading the Skills and Training in Traditional Arts/Crafts for Development (USTTAD Project) of Ministry of Minority Affairs, GoI.
- The Institute has been acting as a nodal agency for issuing of UN certificate and testing of packaging for dangerous goods and hazardous chemicals for export over last 25 years. The Institute has been issuing UN test reports for packaging standards for transportation of dangerous goods both through water and aerial route.
- Requisite regulations have been followed as per the policy and rules by IMDG (DG Shipping) and ICAO (DGCA). IIP is issuing approximately more than 10,000 UN certificates for dangerous goods annually.
- The Institute developed innovative package design for Liquid Jaggery(Nalen-Khajur Gud) for Govt of West Bengal and the shelf life of Nalen Gud has increased from 5 hrs to 92 days and is being sold at the Biswa Bangla outlets at Kolkata.
- The Institute has also developed packaging design for Tribal Cooperative Marketing Development Federation of India (TRIFED)
- The institute participates in and organizes various National and International Exhibition, and conferences to promote packaging & allied industry.
IIP conducts prestigious industry focused event such as ‘International Summit for Packaging Industry’ (ISPI) and ‘World Packaging Congress’ (WPC) and organizes series of National workshops and training programs on food packaging in association with Ministry of Food Processing Industry, Govt. of India across the country in order to increase the awareness of packaging for fresh and processed food products. The institute imparts training in innovative and aesthetic packaging to the artisans, weavers, exporters, stakeholders etc. involved in the handloom & handicrafts sectors. Institute is closely working with various commodity boards, export promotion councils such as APEDA, Spices Board, MPEDA, Tea Board, MoFPI, State Governments and other ministries, packaging industries for improvement of properties of packaging materials, package design, standards & specifications.
IIP’s laboratories are recognized by Scientific & Industrial Research Organization (SIROS) under Department of Science & Technology.
- Indian Institute of Packaging (IIP)
- E-2, MIDC Area, Post Box No. 9432, Andheri (East), MUMBAI-400096
- (91)22-8219803, (91)22-8216751, (91)22-8375302 (F)
- Tel : 011-23062660
- Email : asoffice-doc[at]gov[dot]in
- Tel : 011-23062863
- Email : praveen[dot]kumar2007[at]nic[dot]in
- Tel : 011-23038426
- Email : rajender-upsc[at]gov[dot]in
- Tel : 011-23062261/540 Extn.
- Email : moc_tp[at]nic[dot]in