STC was set up on 18th May 1956 primarily with a view to undertake trade with East European countries and to supplement the efforts of private trade and industry in developing exports from the country. STC played an important role in country’s economy. It arranged imports of essential items of mass consumption (such as wheat, pulses, sugar, edible oils, etc.) and industrial raw materials into India and also contributed significantly in developing exports of a large number of items from India.
STC has a paid up equity capital of ₹60 crore. As on 31.03.2020, the share of Govt. of India in STC’s equity was 90%. The total manpower of the Corporation as on 01.11.2020 was 293.
The present Board of Directors of STC comprises of Director (Personnel) with additional charge of CMD, one Director (Marketing), Director(Finance), MMTC who has additional charge of Director(Finance), STC and two ex-officio Directors from the Ministry of Commerce. Presently, STC has no independent directors on its Board.
The STCL Ltd., a subsidiary of STC, is in the process of winding up and has stopped all its business activities since 2014-15 onwards.