India Chile PTA (Preferential Trade Agreement)
- A Framework Agreement to Promote Economic Cooperation between India and Chile was signed on January 20, 2005. The Framework Agreement envisaged a Preferential Trade Agreement (PTA) between the two countries as a first step.
- As a follow up to the Framework Agreement, a PTA was finalized after four rounds of negotiations between the two sides. The last round of negotiations was held in New Delhi in November 2005. The PTA has two Annexes relating to the list of products on which the two sides have agreed to give fixed tariff preferences to each other and three Annexes relating to the Rules of Origin , Preferential Safeguard Measures and Dispute Settlement Procedures.
- While India has offered to provide fixed tariff preferences ranging from 10% to 50% on 178 tariff lines at the 8 digit level to Chile, the latter have offered us tariff preferences on 296 tariff lines at the 8 digit level with margin of preference ranging from 10% to 100%.
- The products on which India has offered tariff concessions relate to meat and fish products (84 tariff lines), rock salt (1 tariff line), iodine (1 tariff line), copper ore and concentrates (1 tariff line), chemicals (13 tariff lines), leather products (7 tariff lines), newsprint and paper (6 tariff lines), wood and plywood articles (42 tariff lines), some industrial products (12 tariff lines), shorn wool & noils of wool (3 tariff lines) and some others (7 tariff lines).
- Chile’s offer covers some agriculture products (7 tariff lines), chemicals and pharmaceuticals (53 tariff lines), dyes and resins (7 tariff lines), plastic, rubber and miscellaneous chemicals (14 tariff lines) leather products (12 tariff lines), textiles and clothing (106 tariff lines), footwear (10 tariff lines), some industrial products (82 tariff lines) and some other products (5 tariff lines).
- The Agreement was approved by the Cabinet in its meeting held on February 23, 2006, and consequently the PTA was signed on March 8, 2006. The Parliament of Chile approved it in April 2007 and President of Chile signed the decree on August 16, 2007 on ratification of the PTA in Chile. The PTA came into force with effect from 17th August, 2007 in Chile and in India on 11.09.2007. Implementation of India-Chile PTA has been notified to WTO on 13th January, 2009.
- Communication exchanged between India and Chile regarding clarification on Article XXI of India- Chile PTA of the Agreement are enclosed