Minutes of the meeting on Tariff Rate Quota arrangement for tea and garments
Minutes of the meeting held between the Government of the Republic of India and the Government of the Democratic Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka on 18-19 April 2000 in New Delhi.
- The Government of the Republic of India and the Government of the Democratic Socialist the Republic of Sri Lanka had signed a Free Trade Agreement (FTA) on the 28th December 1998.
- A meeting between the Commerce Secretary, Government of India and the Secretary, Treasury, Government of Sri Lanka was held on 2nd February 2000 in New Delhi to operationalise the FTA. In the minutes signed on 2nd February 2000 it was decided “both sides agreed that the Tea Boards of India and Sri Lanka should meet within a month and finalise issues such as method for allocation of quota, monitoring mechanism, authorised signatories for issue of Certificate of Origin and other related procedural matters.” It was also decided “both sides agreed that the nodal agencies of India and Sri Lanka should meet within a month and finalise all issues including revised format of Certificate of Origin for export of Sri Lankan garments into India under the Agreement, authorised signatories for issue of Certificate of Origin and other related procedural matters so as to ensure immediate operationalisation of the quota mechanism.”
- Pursuant to the above decisions, delegations from the Government of the Republic of India and the Government of the Democratic Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka met in New Delhi on 18 – 19 April 2000. The Indian side was led by Mrs. Rathi Vinay Jha, Additional Secretary, Department of Commerce, Ministry of Commerce & Industry and the Sri Lankan side was led by Mr. A. Andrew De Silva, Secretary, Ministry of Plantation Industries. The composition of the two delegations is at Annexure – I.
- During the inaugural meeting, two Sub-Committees were formed to finalise the arrangements for operationalisation of Tariff Rate Quota (TRQ) exports of tea and garments under the FTA. The agreed minutes of the Sub-Committee on tea signed on 19th April 2000 is at Annexure – II. The agreed minutes of the Sub-Committee on garments on 19th April 2000 is at Annexure – III.
- Both sides agreed to implement steps to bring these arrangements into effect at the earliest.
On behalf of the Indian side
Rathi Vinay JhaAdditional Secretary
- Department of Commerce
- Ministry of Commerce & Industry Government of India 19-04-2000
On behalf of the Sri Lankan side
A. Andrew De SilvaSecretary
- Ministry of Plantation Industries Government of Sri Lanka 19-04-2000