Expansion of India-Chile Preferential Trade Agreement (PTA)
- A Framework Agreement to promote economic cooperation between India and Chile was signed on January 20, 2005 which envisaged for a Preferential Trade Agreement (PTA) between the two countries as a first step.
- The India-Chile PTA was signed on 8th March, 2006 and has become operational on September, 2007. The details of India-Chile PTA are available on this web-page under the heading ‘Agreements already concluded’.
- Expansion of the PTA – During the 1st meeting of the Joint Administrative Committee (JAC), which was held in New Delhi in February, 2009 to review the implementation of India-Chile PTA, both sides agreed to initiate the process of deepening and widening of the agreed lists of the existing India- Chile PTA. The 1st Meeting on negotiation on expansion of India-Chile PTA was held in Santiago on 28-29 January, 2010 in which both sides exchanged their wish list to each other.
- In the 2nd meeting on expansion of India-Chile PTA, which was held in August, 2010, both sides discussed the further modalities of the expansion of the PTA including exchange of initial offer lists.
- The 3rd meeting on expansion of India-Chile PTA was held in 30 June- 1 July, 2011 in Chile. During the meeting, both sides agreed on broad principle for expansion of the PTA. They also agreed to exchange new wish lists in order of priority and to hold the next meeting by November, 2011.